Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Little Bit of Beauty for the Sake of Balance

To be fair, Kazan is not all sink holes and broken pavement. The other day I took a new route to the university and found a random doorway strewn with rose petals.


The sign from afar looked like it was in the style of an official government office (green and gold, go Tatarstan), which seemed very romantic. Ministry of Culture maybe?


Upon closer inspection it's a flower shop, but still a nice surprise that a new assortment of petals appears daily.


Also I realized as I was on my not exactly daily but maybe tri-weekly run across the Millenium Bridge, built in celebration of the 1,000 year anniversary of the founding of the City of Kazan, which looks like an odd fusion of the McDonald's arches with the George Washington Bridge, that if I took pictures of it from my phone while running I could make the arches bend crazily in the pictures.

Here is the bridge at a standstill.


First from afar.


Then a little closer, though still straight. 

Now it goes all bendy.


Woohoo.


GWB + Mc-yD's 4EVA


Tired of the gimmick yet?


Apparently, I'm not.


From behind. (Sorry for the bit o' thumb in the corner).


So you see, there are some beautiful things in and about Kazan. Even if some of them require camera tricks.

No comments: